Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power That Is Oceans Apart

February 8, 2010

Nordhavns to the rescue

When we say that Nordhavns are the safest, most seaworthy boats on the water, we’re not just blowing smoke. Our Nordhavns have routinely taken their owners and guests through wave-bashing overnight cruises, ocean crossings, and circumnavigations, keeping them secure and safe at all times. Such is the case that, time and again, our Nordhavn owners have been called upon – or stepped up voluntarily – to the call of duty and lent a hand to those in times of distress. Two years ago, it was N46 Egret and N55 New Paige which transported a sick South Pacific islander, along with his family and nurse, to a hospital on the mainland so he could get an organ transplant, after other boats attempted but could not get across the dicey seas to do the job. Then there was Nordhavn 62 Rover which, in January 2003, rescued five Sri Lankan fishermen marooned on their overturned boat. We even learned of Nordhavn owners cruising the Caribbean last month whose first thoughts were to use their boats to aid the Haitian hurricane relief effort. Now comes another Nordhavn story of humanitarianism.

Just two months ago, on December 2, 2009, a Nordhavn 55 called Amandla II, heard a distress call over the radio. A 62-foot Dutch sloop with four crew on board – including a baby – was holed and sinking in the nearby waters off the coast of Thailand. Without hesitation Amandla II headed straight for their location, and traveling at “Nordhavn” full steam, reached the sailboat in just over a half-hour. Within minutes, one of the Nordhavn’s electrical crash pumps was utilized to empty the water taken on by the sailboat. The crew was escorted onto Amandla II, whose owner Dominique Naplezes, offered the wife and baby to stay in the master cabin. “The baby had a real bath and hot baby bottles while mum enjoyed a queen-sized bed and a couple of G&Ts,” noted Dominique.

But the story does not end here. After 10 minutes of pumping out what seemed like an endless trough of water, a second boat that had also heard the distress call arrived on the scene. It was another Nordhavn 55, Myah! She remained on stand-by until the sailboat was salvaged. Said Dominique: “The captain told us, another 10 minutes and they would have had to abandon ship.” Myah remained on standby until the sailboat was successfully salvaged and hooked up to Amandla II.